WHAT CAN I DO TO HELP MAKE THE AIR CLEANER?
Practice pollution prevention by reducing or eliminating emissions before they occur. Through pollution prevention we have been able to help companies see the economic and environmental benefits of changing to less polluting options. The Bureau is part of a nationwide movement, directed by the EPA, toward preventing pollution.
Reduce Fuel Use:
- Drive less by combining errands
- Drive at slower speeds
- Postpone using gasoline-powdered lawn equipment
- Keep your engines properly tuned
- Keep tires properly inflated
- Refuel after 6 pm
- Don't top off your gasoline tank
Reduce Energy Consumption:
- Turn off lights
- Turn thermostats up 2-4 degrees
- Keep blinds drawn to block out sun
- Take the Energy Star Pledge
- Use compact fluourescent light bulbs (CFL's) and recycle them when finished. In Hamilton County, CFL's can be recycled at Southern Cabinets & Lighting, 1814 Gunbarrel Rd, Suite 104, Chattanooga, TN 37421, Home Depot, Lowe's or at your local recycling center. Get more information on CFL's and recycling.
Find Alternate Methods of Transportation:
- Walk or bike (before noon and after 6:00 p.m.)
- Use public transportation
Don't Burn Anything
You can reduce your exposure to pollution by:
- Reducing the amount of time spent participating in vigorous activity outside
- Choosing a less strenuous activity while outside (e.g., going for a walk instead of a jog)
Learn as much as you can by checking out these websites: